**1000** FOLLOWER BOOK GIVEAWAY!!
So apparently I seem to have a thing for reaching my next follower milestone BEFORE MY GIVEAWAYS FOR THE PREVIOUS ONE EVEN END. THIS IS THE SECOND TIME LOL.
This one is different from my previous two! The prize in question is not a book.
It is any bookish item (1) under $30 USD on Etsy!
If it is related to books in any way, IT COUNTS! (All the items in the pictures ARE under $30 and eligible!)
- If Etsy ships to your country, you may participate. Therefore, it is international!
- However, be aware that not all shops ship to all countries. So please keep this in mind while you are selecting your prize if you win.
- The $30 DOES INCLUDE SHIPPING. So keep this in mind as well.
- As this is in appreciation of every single one of my beautiful followers, you must be following me, just-one—more-page. I will be checking! (If you enter with a secondary blog, make sure there’s a link to it somewhere on your primary, so I can tell it’s you.)
- You may enter by both liking and reblogging this post! As many reblogs as you like are allowed. However, please be courteous to your followers, and avoid spamming them.
- Absolutely no giveaway blogs!
- I will be choosing a winner with a random number generator from the notes.
- The winner will have 48 hours to reply to me and actively start deciding on a prize item before I move on to another random winner.
- Please make sure your ask box is open! Otherwise I won’t be able to contact you if you’ve won.
- You must be comfortable giving me a shipping address. I promise I won’t do anything else with it!
- Because I’m not made of money, this giveaway will be going on much longer than my previous ones. It will end at 12:00AM EST on December 1st!
If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to ask! Now go forth and reblog!! FOR THE LOVE OF BOOKS!
[Some good Bookish shops to browse through for ideas (but of course not limited to): BoundByHand | freemoment | MauveMagpie | CarasBookishCharms | BrotherWorks | LittleLiterature | wayfaringart | TheStampinPlace | CoolBookmark | STCHandmade]
C’est du chinois pour moi.
For Spanish it’s hablar en chino ”speaking in Chinese”, Iceland says þetta er hebreska fyrir mér ”It’s too Hebrew for me”, Italian says per me è arabo “for me it’s Arabic”, and German says das kommt mir Spanisch vor “that seems like Spanish to me”
At least Spanish and French agree! (we also say “parler chinois”)
The faces of Government in In The Flesh:
John Weston: the brilliant scientist whose discovery in a mid-apocalyptic bunker / lab saves the world, but which he loses control of with consequences that are only now coming to light. A doctor who seems to care for his patients when no one else does. A vivisectionist. A man who makes promises he cannot keep.
Victor Halperin: a man who went from thinking it was the end of the world with no hope in sight, to a cure skeptic, to the first proponent of reintegration. A man of science who says that the Undead are “not of this world”. And who believes that they are “a superior species”.
Giles Weir: a minister who represents a government who abandoned many of their people to zombies. A man who tries to persuade those same people to welcome back the zombies. Head of a Department that promises legal protection for the Undead, but is chased out of town by people who will later murder an elderly woman on the street with no official consequences. The man who signed off on the Give Back scheme. The man who branded the weird / horrific / miraculous state of being of the Undead as “Partially Deceased Syndrome” because it “sounds manageable”. The man who pushed through reintegration before the drugs, the public and the Undead were ready for it.
Oliver and Nina: the henchman and henchwoman of Halperin & Weston. She’s new and fastidious, he’s an old hand and flippant. They debate who’s going to drive the company car with a boot full of gas canisters, body bags and handcuffs. Oliver tells us that “collections never go easy” and “they always put up a fight”. They really put the hours in. You can’t escape their clutches by something so simple as being dead-dead and buried.
These are the forces above and beyond the likes of Vicar Oddie, Gary Kendal and even Maxine Martin.
We’re scared of seeing our Undead heroes coming up against them in series 3, but not half as scared as we are of not getting series 3 at all.
Can’t stop, won’t stop: Protesters in Ferguson rally again, seeking justice for Mike Brown. More than a month and a half after his death, his killer, Darren Wilson, is still a free man. (Pt 2)
Because it wouldn’t be a protest in Ferguson without fuckery from the police. A driver plowed his car through protesters, grazing several and running over a young boys foot. Beyond taking several hours to transport the boy to the hospital, they took even longer to arrest the motorist. Who did they not wait long to arrest? Two of the protesters who had been documenting the altercation for the world to see. If you’re not angry, you’re not paying attention. #staywoke #farfromover #nojusticenopeace
this gets pretty loud be careful
I had never even considered the range of emotions these two go through in this part
OK SOME REALLY SERIOUS SHIT IS HAPPENING IN NORTH KOREA
According to South Korean newspapers, last week the North Korean government PUBLICLY EXECUTED 80 people in 7 cities for watching South Korean/Western shows, movies, and videos, “pornography,” or possessing a Bible.
Apparently people’s attitudes and conformance are changing SO THIS IS HOW THE GOVERNMENT IS TRYING TO SUPPRESS DISOBEDIENCE
They allegedly herded 10,000 innocent civilians into a stadium where they were FORCED TO WATCH THE EXECUTIONS BY MACHINE GUN FIRE
THIS IS HONESTLY SOME HUNGER GAMES SHIT HAPPENING IN REAL LIFE RIGHT NOW
Why is the blame for romanticizing mental illness lodged at teenage girls documenting/trying to cope with their struggles with mental illness and not grown men who make movies about how medication is evil and schizophrenia is magic powers.
I’m just gonna reblog this every time I see it.
On June 3rd, 2014, the Serrano family was having difficulty with a young female family member who suffers from a mental illness and depression. Yanira Serrano-Garcia, 18, had apparently gone off of her medication and became agitated and hard to control.
“[Yanira] wanted to be normal. She wanted to stop taking her medication, and I get it. Sometimes when my feet hurt I just want to be normal. I don’t want to take pills. I get her…all we want is justice,” said a friend of Yanira’s during a community march.
“Sadly, they mistook her for something she didn’t do, and a cop decided to get his gun out when he could have gotten out his taser, his pepper spray,” she said.
“She has special needs and we just want answers,” said Yanira’s brother, Tiny Serrano. “Who are we supposed to call now when we need help when who is supposed to help us is killing our kids?”
Not at all. Sometimes people are better apart than together. You can’t force things that don’t work. I think it would be worse to deal with parents that hate each other and are together- that can be some real psychological bullshit to deal with.
Why In the Flesh should be saved:
- Its portrayal of discrimination is one of the most realistic I’ve ever seen in a piece of media (specifically when it comes to homophobia & mental illness)
- Even when dealing with such serious subject matter it manages to strike a balance between tragedy and comedy so it’s not a continuous bombardment of depression & darkness
- Several well written female characters. This seems like a baseline requirement for any show but it’s ridiculous how many shows and movies never achieve this. But on itf we have Amy; who is given her own narrative that doesn’t revolve around the main character, Jem; who we clearly see struggle with PTSD but is never seen as weak because of this, Maxine Martin; who could have been portrayed as 100% evil with no redeeming characteristics, but instead is a charismatic, complex woman who won’t let anything get in the way of her achieving her goals, and several other characters with memorable personalities.
- A main character who is queer. LGBTQ+ representation is increasing in the media but all too often these characters are merely token secondary/minor characters or their entire character revolves around their sexual orientation. This is not the case with this show!
- There is too much that can be covered in this show and so many questions that need answered for it to be cancelled now. It’s done so much good with just a mere nine episodes, think how far it could go with double that amount (or even more). We could discover more about the lives of other undead people, the changing opinions of the public, watch Simon & Kieren’s relationship evolve, FIND OUT WHAT IS GOING ON WITH AMY DYER.
- BASICALLY I’LL PROBABLY GO MAD IF I NEVER FIND ANY OF THIS OUT. THERE IS JUST TOO MUCH POTENTIAL IN THIS SHOW AND IT WOULD BE TRAGIC IF IT WERE WASTED.